Thursday, July 19, 2007

Frank 'n' Me

Once upon a time... it wasn't in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Fremont, California, actually, where I and my colleagues made many cocaine decisions. I'm not bragging.

That was also where I once received a personal missive from a Mr. Zappa. Naturally it blew me away. I had done two disconnected things, and with his computer brain, he made the connection, tracked me down and sent me the nice letter above.

First, after a show, I handed Frank some Zappa bucks. (Maybe seeing his Overnite Sensation/"I'm the Slime" visage in the presidential oval inspired Frank's later presidential aspirations?)

Second, I sent him a photo of me standing next to a fantastic, custom-made foamcore Tinseltown Rebellion display from the tape cassette store I managed at the time. I'd written my address on the back, and someone later told me the picture was posted on the wall in his manager Bennett Glotzer's office.

So, at some point within the Zappa organization, Frank seems to have inquired about that guy in that picture with the TR display (me), who also gave him a Zappa buck, and do we have his address? And I get a letter in the mail.

There was a period in the late 1970s and into the 1980s when Frank would nod in greeting when he spotted me in and around concerts. Sometimes I think about how my existence was actually encoded in Frank Zappa's brain! Not bad for a Northern Californian, since he refers to our kind as "hot tub dipshits!"

Oh, did I mention that the next Zappa's Grubby Chamber show is on Friday, July 27? The July 20 show is pre-empted by Relay For Life, though I hear there will be at least some Zappa triage for the needy between 10 p.m. and midnight.

But to truly quench those Zappa thirsts, tune in July 27, for something really special.

A bwahaha may be in order here, along with a grand mooo-aaaahhh.

1 comment:

Krautner said...

Man...! A letter from FZ! thats the coolest thing I've seen all year. I hoped you've framed it...