Monday, January 7, 2008

Where's My Waitress? – January 11, 2008


So, I got on the elevator at Jacoby's Storehouse yesterday only to encounter former Barking Dogma guitarist Kevyn Dymond. I drummed once for BD when they opened for BFD – that's Mike Keneally's Beer For Dolphins – at the old Jambalaya Club.

Kevyn handed me a CD titled Where's My Waitress?, above. It's a disc jam-packed with versions of FZ songs prepared by home tapers. These appear to be rugged-individualist/misfit-types who like to do solo musical projects in their smelly little secret black light bedrooms on Long Island.

And elsewhere. These songs look like they've been done by guys all over the country. Kevyn has a few on there, as does an interesting guy named Russ Stedman. Russ appears to have manufactured the compilation, so I e-mailed him and asked if I could play WMW? on the show, and he said "Go for it."

Note that this whole thing is quasi-legal at best... actually it's just done for the love of Frank music, which may or may not go unpunished. Says the liner notes, "All of the music in this collection was written by Frank Zappa [with one exception] and is no doubt controlled for all the world and space by the Zappa Family Trust..."

The exception is "Frank," by Joe Newman, which is quite charming. I'll start out the Jan. 11, 2008 show with that, then we'll proceed to a heavy-duty session of versioning, wherein I play the Frank version of the song and then the equivalent WMW? rendition.

I had actually planned to drill through a bunch of new (to me) material donated to the show by another listener, our friend and Brother In Frank, Matt Walden (Matt Chu to you). But there's so dang much of it, I think I need another week to assimilate.

So, it's Where's My Waitress? and beyond, for the Jan. 11, 2008 Zappa's Grubby Chamber. Phone in your comments to (707) 786-5486, or studio@khum.com.

No comments: