Thursday, February 28, 2008

Laff Riot – February 29, 2008

That was a fun show last week. The bouncy-bouncy music really kept me moving, from song to bouncy song, doing the busy DJ thing.

Not much word from listeners though, other than the erstwhile Ron in Richmond. I’m going to assume that everyone was dancing on their coffee tables with lampshades on their heads to the jolly, jolly ever-so-jolly tuneage. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it, if only for the visual.

This week, how about we dwell on the joy, the smiles... the laughter. Not Frank’s “comedy music” per se, but songs in which there is actual laughing. Where will that take us?

There are a lot of Zappa songs that include people laughing, sometimes a belly laugh, other times just a snicker or chortle. There’s a bunch on One Size Fits All, and on Ship Arriving Too Late to Save a Drowning Witch, that crappy ’70s “laugh box” thing crops up on side two in several places.

What else? “The Blue Light,” “Jesus Thinks You’re A Jerk,” “Planet of the Baritone Women.” If I wanted to be lazy, and I might just, I could put on “Greggery Peccary,” then sit back and relax because of the part where Greggery greets the ladies in the steno pool. Or I could do the same with “Billy the Mountain,” because of Billy’s reaction to Studebaker Hawk trying to draft him into the armed forces.

There must be more, but I’m not cheating and looking at the discography. It’s all from scratch, with homemade ingredients, fresh from nature’s bounty, for you, the Zappa listener, because we at Zappa’s Grubby Chamber care enough to bring you the best, to help make your lifestyle a lifesmile.

Whatever. Does “Hoy Hoy Hoy” count?

No comments: