Thursday, February 7, 2008

Sheer Elegance – February 8, 2008

So much confusion surrounds Frank Zappa.

He didn't care. But I do!

I've spent my damn life proselytizing for Frank's genius. And at long last I've arrived in a place where I know I'm not alone in my appreciation for something so right. Matt, Bob, Ron, Julia, Dave, Russ, Gail, Barry, Ed and the literally several others who brighten my Friday nights during the show – thanks!

As I was saying... part of being a self-appointed Frank Zappa emissary to Earth is disabusing folks of their erroneous notions – sometimes willfully cultivated by Frank (thanks, Frank!) – about Frank and his music.

Perhaps the most overlooked aspect of his music is its sheer elegance. No one would argue that there's anything more exalted on the face of God's Great Earth than "Sofa" or "Regyptian Strut." But what about "Strictly Genteel" and "Bolero?"

Beyond the classical-esque tnes, there's the sheer elegance of "Zoot Allures" (I'm thinking of the DHBIM? version), "Evelyn, A Modified Dog" and the ultimate in majestic Frank music, "Watermelon In Easter Hay." And I'll use any excuse I can get to play "Drowning Witch."

So tune in for the eleganza extravaganza!

1 comment:

Julia said...

Sadly I wasn't able to listen to the last show, but Zappa was there with me in spirit. And by "spirit" I mean beer. You see, I had a date with George Clinton and P-Funk that could not be missed. The Parliment commenced its funky session just before you start crushing boxes - and they continuously funked-out for 4 hours.

Where was Frank this whole time? Pressurized and tapped behind the bar my friend. That's right, I sipped the sweet nectar of Kill Ugly Radio beer brewed by Lagunitas. Ugly Radio never tasted so sweet and yet, so funky.

"Every major industrialized nation has a beer (you can't be a Real Country unless you have A BEER and an airline -- it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer)." -Frank Zappa