Wednesday, March 12, 2008

The Genius – March 14, 2008

People, I am leaving Zappa's Grubby Chamber – at least for now.

The reason is the physical toll on my chassis. As presently configured, doing the show requires driving to and fro in a 54-mile round-trip on a Friday eve/Saturday morn amid Taco Bell-engorged teens, Humboldt County weather and local California Highway Patrol officers on the make. Get the picture?

There's a loyal cadre of hardcore listeners, but as to any larger appeal, I just don't know. Is there any place for a dedicated Frank Zappa music show on FM radio any more? I'd like to think there is. I certainly have a ton of unexploited show themes.

But... with a few shows left to do, I plan to wind up with a flourish of genius. What songs best exemplify Frank Zappa at his most artful and clever?

To me, there are some clear best-of-the-best songs. "Echidna's Arf (Of You)," "Pygmy Twylyte," "Andy," "The Jazz Discharge Party Hats," and so many, many, more.

Genius Frank, on the next-to-last Zappa's Grubby Chamber.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow - I understand your logistical problemo but hopefully you will re-emerge somewhere...sometime soon!? Music is the BEST and you are part of bringing Zappa's genius to the world.

Kevin L. Hoover said...

And I love doing it. I could create the show at home and send it in, but we'd lose the spontaneousness. I don't know if the station would go for that.

M-Chu said...

Sorry, bro. I haven’t been able to keep up with the show lately because of my family and the time difference.

Kevin, I wish you had a partner to relieve you now and then, if not someone to alternate with from week to week. It would go a long way to balance the weight, though I’m not sure we could find anyone who understands Frank as well as you do and could eloquently commemorate his music as you have. Please don’t give up entirely. Perhaps you could broadcast once or twice a month?

I know you will have an empty feeling that first night without ZGC. So will your faithful listeners. You carried the torch so well. I wish I could help you because Frank deserves a constant reminder to those who recognize the difference in real music and those sounds emanating from a Casio rhythm machine.

My brother in Frank, please don’t give up entirely.

Dave Berman said...

I just sent an e-mail to mike@khum.com encouraging him to let Kevin do the show remotely. I bet he'd love to hear from others.

Kevin L. Hoover said...

I really enjoyed doing the show tonight. The calls were quite touching, as was the surge that knocked out the router for an hour, killing the streaming. As least one Richmond resident was HEAVILY INCONVENIENCED.

Dave, I'm sorry I played "Flakes" when I shoulda played "Broken Hearts" following your wristwatch-based stimuli.

I want to make a super-fun promo for next week's food-based show, and go out with a chomp!

Chas said...

You'll be missed, man. Drive home from the studio and following hour at home will NOT be the same...and what am I supposed to tell Luther?!