Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Well, this is new... again


I abandoned my Zappa blog what, six years ago? That was when I stopped doing my Zappa's Grubby Chamber show on KHUM.

My life has changed a lot since then, but it's still basically the same – working at the newspaper, enjoying Arcata and all my little hobbies and interests.

Though still fond of Frank and all who sail in him, I've added some fresh obsessions to occupy my brainpan. Rather than start a new blog to document them, it occurred to me that Crush All Boxes is not just good advice, but a suitable platform for other things 'n' stuff.

Miraculously, I was able to log right on and start cleaning up all the crap spam comments that have accumulated over the years. I'll be reformatting the blog too, but there's no big hurry.

My initial plan for this new/old blog is to talk about my preparation for next year's planned Pacific Crest Trail hike. I'm hiking from Campo at the Mexican border to Ashland, Ore. That's 1,726 miles over four months. It starts next April.

I'm incredibly fortunate to work at the Mad River Union, where my co-workers are letting me go away for this extended period and yet remain technically employed. Thanks, guys and gals.

As we all know, planning a trip can be as much fun as taking it, and since this one requires extensive and meticulous prep, it's quite absorbing. Even though it's roughly 10 months out, there's so much to do that I do feel a sense of urgency. Every day I try to do some little something.

I'll be sharing my plans, posing questions and once the hike starts, posting updates here. I'll also be sharing my imbecilic opinions on things, plus blurbettes about my hobbies and interests.

So, welcome back, me.

No comments: